June 26, 2014

4 Tips for Improving Your Productivity

Irony strikes yet again as I am two days late in posting this, simply because I was overwhelmed, distracted, and not as productive as I could have been. Perhaps this post would have been on time, had I read it before I began the task which caused its delay!

The following four tips come from Jeff Haden's "The 8-Hour Workday Doesn't Really Work":
  1. Manually increase the relevance of a task - overriding your attention system, setting deadlines, and rewarding yourself significantly improves task completion.
  2. Split your day into 90-minute intervals with 15-30 minute breaks - don't focus on 6, 8, 10 hours, instead focus on the tasks.
  3. Plan out your rest periods so you actually rest - plan to nap, walk, snack, whatever. Just don't wing it.
  4. Allow ZERO notifications - having no alerts on you phone or computer allows you to keep focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment