I read a little article in a magazine (I don't remember which) in December 2013, called "Deal With People You Just Can't Stand" by Ross McCammon. Although I cannot find the little article any longer, here is a longer version (complete with video). I present here a condensed version of the little article.
Don't act annoyed at the jerk. In business, restraint is the only means of disarming him. Follow these steps to disrupt the jerk and re-calibrate the situation in your favor:
- Shut Up - Don't respond, use the ten-second rule.
- Think - Try to contemplate what is causing the jerk to behave this way.
- Stare - Just stare at him blankly for a moment.
- Look Bewildered - Look at him like you've just seen a dancing dog dressed in a sailor's suit.
- Say "Huh." - Nothing more; no smile, no frown. Look nonplussed, like you are contemplating where the dog got that suit. And simply say, "huh."