Something which I have known for a while is that, if you're going to make it in life, you need to stand out. Being just another face in the crowd isn't going to get you anywhere interesting.
This is from one of the first articles I've read by Jeff Haden, whose writings I have come to treasure in many ways.
- Be first with a purpose - Come in early and do something visibly worthwhile for the company
- Be known for something specific - Pick a worthwhile mission and then excel at it
- Create your own side project - Even if it fails, it shows your initiative
- Put your muscle where your mouth is - Instead of just pointing out flaws, jump in and help fix it
- Show a little of your personal side - Personal interests help other people identify and remember you
- Work harder than anyone else - Nothing is a substitute for hard work